Thursday, October 23, 2008

On Mark 8:53 and "The Gospel"

What does the short phrase "The Gospel" mean to you?

For me, the Gospel defined was almost like some type of abstract “good news” – “gospel” after all means “good news” (euangelion) – and so the good news as I understood it was simple: “Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household!” (Acts 16:31, NRSV).

But what does it mean to “believe on the Lord Jesus”? And what is it are we to “believe” about Him? That he existed? That he was/is Lord, as in “sir” or “master” or what? This passage mentions nothing of the cross, of the resurrection, there is no mention here of either the substationary sacrificial work of the atonement for man’s sins, or of Christus Victor? (I think Luke gave us the short-hand account of the story)

In my study of koin Greek one of the verses I was given to translate in an exercise was Mark 8:35: “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; and whoever will lose his life on account of me and my gospel, will save it” (my translation).

As I habitually do, I cross-referenced my translation with other popular translations for accuracy sake and here’s how some of them end:

NRSV: “… for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.”
NASB: “… for My sake, and the gospel’s will save it.”
NIV: “… for me and for the gospel will save it.”
ESV: “… for my sake and the gospel’s will save it.”
NKJV: “… for My sake, and the gospel’s will save it.”

Though “the gospel” is (obviously) a perfectly good translation of the passage in question since the definite article (tou = the) is present, nonetheless, the phrase tou euangeliou is in the possessive case which means that someone owns this “gospel” that Jesus is talking about, and since the antecedent to “the gospel” in this text is Jesus (“on account of me and …”), Mark 8:35 can (maybe should) be translated: “on account of me and my gospel”.

The “gospel” is not any old good news, and neither is it simply an “invitation” to accept or reject Jesus undefined. The gospel is more then “believe on Jesus and be saved”. The Gospel is His Gospel; the Good News is His Story! The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the Story of Jesus Christ – the entire story - first lived (recapitulated), then told (and retold). Most importantly, the Gospel is a herald; it is a proclamation, a declaration with expectation: JESUS IS LORD! SERVE HIM!

N.T. Wright argues that the word “Gospel” (euangelion) in the first century Roman world, especially through Paul’s usage in reference to King Jesus, was understood as a royal herald, he adds, “When the herald makes a royal proclamation, he says ‘Nero (or whoever) has become emperor.’ He does not say ‘If you would like to have an experience of living under an emperor, you might care to try Nero.’ The proclamation is an authoritative summons to obedience – in Paul’s case, to what he calls ‘the obedience of faith’.” (Wright has in mind here Romans 1:5).
(See: Wright, What Saint Paul Really Said, ©1997, p.45; a pastor friend loaned this book to me)

The next time the word Gospel comes to mind don’t simply think of it as an invitation, but rather think of it as it was meant to be understood, - to quote myself above – “as a declaration with expectation!” The Gospel is the proclamation of a King: Jesus was born in a manager, preached among men, was crucified by those he sought to save and rose from the dead which is the “proof” in the pudding.

Jesus is Lord of the Universe (Col. 1:15-20), serve Him, love Him, and love they whom He loves.

Derek
www.pensees-derek.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers