Sunday, October 12, 2008

Interrupting Your Regular Blog For...

[ I interrupt your regularly scheduled blog (current thoughts on the Home Church movement) to share a word about my last blog (Local Pastors and Ex Cathedra)… ]

I made two mistakes in my last blog; the first was to use my current pastor as an example within the blog which gave off the impression of unfairly “demonizing” him. When intention is weight against perception, perception wins every time. And so while he squarely fit the pattern which I have observed which I believe is harmful to the body of Christ, a LOT more tact, mercy and godliness would have been prudent on my part. And secondly, I feel that I simply over generalized and did not add enough qualifications to the blog to be fair. Truth is, I know many great men who are pastors and I would never wish to paint these men with the brush I used to characterize an abuse of the pulpit and God’s Word I have seen in so many others.

A few positive examples:

I ran into a pastor (not literally) just yesterday and had such an encouraging encounter that I had to boast about it to a friend after he left. When I finished telling her about it she gazed in dream like fashion into nothing and said with a smile, “I wish more pastors were like him; quirks and all” - I have to agree.

I’ll never forge meeting with an Anglican minister a year or so ago, a brilliant and smiley man of God who is a man of the collar and also rides a motor cycle (go figure), I’ve met him a few times since and am seriously considering making semi-regular visits to his church.

And how could I forget about one of my best friends! I lived with him for awhile and got to see the “man behind the pulpit”, bed-head and all. I spent every day in church with him while he kept fixed office hours even though his was not a large church; where he passionately prayed on certain schedules while no one was watching (except me… peeking around the corner!)

I had a meeting with a Baptist minister awhile back who was very very encouraging to talk to. Not only was we well educated, and had a big heart, not only does his congregation love him and nothing negative ever comes out of his church, not only does he preach solid holiness compassionate sermons… he also likes Tim Hortons coffee (which is a prerequisite for any friend of mine :-) )

I have two friends who are both in fulltime youth pastorial ministries, one in Chicago and the other near Toronto, both of whom I have no doubt are incredible at the ministry they feel called to do.

Not to mention a least a couple of guys I went to Bible College with who were fair minded men with big hearts for people - they are now in the ministries (so far as I know) and I no doubt believe them to be the real deal.

All these just to mention the ones that came to mind while I typed; surely I could personally think of more examples.

It’s always the rotten apples that are the most visible; so here are just a few of the golden delicious. With a little luck and a lot of prayer I hope my further blogs will be written with greater wisdom and godliness, even while I critique and think through one view against another.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadians out there!

Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers