Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Theology for the Soul

For the First Time… Again

Though I have designed these blog to be theological in nature, every once in a while something touches my heart so that I feel compelled to share it with you. Having said that, in keeping with the spirit of theological reflection, what follows is a refection of how some deeper theological insights bring with them deeper spiritual significance that penetrates my soul.

This past week I visited a small church in town (in which as a side note, the pastors’ sermon was superb!) and one of the songs for worship was the hymn In Christ Alone. I have known the song for many years and have sung it countless times, but this was the first time I’ve sung it (all its’ verse) since I have dug deeper into theological matters of the Atonement. The result were flowing tears as the full significance of what Christ came to accomplish was realized again – for the first time. (It’s always an experience worth noting whenever “the first time” repeats itself).

Theological Background

You may recall when I first began to blog, the subject was the Atonement of Christ, and namely, what theory should be held prominent above the others. At the time I was introduced to the theory of the Atonement known now as Christus Victor, that the primary purpose for Christ’ life, death and resurrection was to overcome the forces of evil, sin and the devil so that Christ did not simply take our punishment, but he also (and more importantly perhaps) gave us victory over the chains that bound us. This view seemed to have been pitted against the popular Reformed view Penal Substitution which teaches that the Atonement was the single act of God pouring out His wrath on Christ on the cross; some authors would go so far as to except the “Substitution” part of this system but reject the “Penal” element; not wanting to portray God as a wrathful tyrant (Greg Boyd champions this view). As I tried to work out my own system I allowed that last part to linger, accepted Christus Victor and moved on to another subject.

Later I read Scot McKnights’ book, A Community Called Atonement, in which he attempts to show how all the theories of the Atonement are equally acceptable and work in conjunction with one another (though I got the sneaking suspicion that McKnight was raising the Penal Substitution view above Christus Victor).

Today I agree with McKnight; God is Holy, no sin can stand in his presence and his dikaiosyne – his justice or righteousness – compels him to judge sin and grant the sinner their wish – separation from his eternal and holy presence. But it is the introduction to the theory of Christus Victor that has truly gripped my heart and I wish it were taught more in churches today; that while Christ did take our punishment on the cross, he also destroyed in one fell swoop the power of the devil and any hold he had on me, breaking the chains of darkness, evil and sin and granting us authority which is found in Him – through his victory which was revealed in the resurrection – and through this God did not simply cover my sins – Jesus did not simply take my deserved punishment – but more fully, He re-created me into a new person in the image of His Son Jesus Christ by means of Christus Victor.

How This Caused Tears To Flow

Sunday morning, with Christ' Atoning work floating around in the back of my mind, we began to sing “In Christ Alone”, and as we did the words of what I was saying suddenly carried with it more meaning then ever before!

When we sang...

In Christ alone, Who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save.
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied; [Penal Substitution]
For ev'ry sin on Him was laid—
Here in the death of Christ I live.

I stared at those words while singing with such a glorious realization! But then, when the next set of lyrics appeared I became choked up with tears and could sing no more, I grabbed my chest and closed my eyes tightly in meditation as the communion of singing saints worshipped:

There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain;
Then bursting forth in glorious day,
Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me; [Christus Victor!]
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Hallelujah and Amen!

Reflective Christianity – theological Christianity – if I fails to result in practical application that drives us closer to the heart of God revealed in Christ, it is good for nothing.

Praise God and Amen!

Derek
www.pensees-derek.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers