Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pagan the Missionary!

Let me introduce you'll to a friend I had back in Bible College, Kris Pagan, and to be sure, don't let his last name fool you, for Kris is anything but! As a matter of fact, from our time together I'd say Kris is one of the boldest Christians I have ever known!

I remember on one particular occasion while we were walking through West Edmonton Mall together we saw a - no joke - elderly woman with leather like skin and layers of makeup on her face sitting in a fortunetellers booth surrounded by every type of witchcraft relic and rosaries and crucifixes of all kinds! Kris turned and said to me, "Hey Derek, do you wanna go witness to this lady?" "Yeah sure" I said, half hoping he was joking, and half praying he was joking. And so off we went.

Kris began with Christ, continued with Christ and ended with Christ the only way a missionary could, as Paul said, "we preach Christ crucified" and again, "For I resolved to know nothing... except Jesus Christ and Him crucified" (1 Cor. 1:23; 2:2). Kris fired away the questions, why did she have Jesus on a cross next to those witchcraft relics? Doesn't she know that Jesus rose from the dead, why have him on a cross anyways, he's not there anymore, he's risen (cf. 1 Cor. 15:17)? Doesn't she know what God says about witchcraft, that it is an abomination in His sight (Deut. 18:9-12)? Doesn't she know that her 'powers' come from the demons behind her idols and images (1 Cor. 10:20)? But that Christ died and rose again to set her from from the bondage of the Devil, sin and death (1 John 3:8-10)? (Taken from memory and retooled.)

It was an amazing sight to see Kris in action; is it any wonder that Kris has been active in the mission field ever since (last I heard).

Praise God for Kris and his work.

We have recently reconnect via facebook and the other week he send me this question:

"Hey man, I read your latest 2 blogs, nice work, your a good writer...keep it up. What are your thoughts on Calvinism and predestination?" (Used with permission)

My next blog will be a response to that question.

Thanks Kris for your interest and encouragement.

Be blessed,
Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers